Sunday, October 19, 2008

my name is mallory phillips, and this is the longest day of my life

The following happened Monday, October 13, between the hours of 7 am and 7 pm

7:02 I wake up late, still needing to finish a one page write up for my 8 o’clock class
8:00 The final packing of my bag before I head off to school (that’s funny, I can’t find my wallet anywhere. As a matter of fact I haven’t seen it since…. Saturday night?)
8:05 (Walking to school) Last time I remember having it was Saturday night at Jason’s Deli. So I sent a text message to Elyse, asking her for Brady’s number since I might have left my wallet in his car.
8:15 Finally to school and on a computer to finish the lamest assignment on the planet
8:55 Ask the TA if she’ll accept my assignment just as class is out “yeah but it will be late, since it’s due at the beginning of class” (shutup)
9:00 Math class—by now I’m starting to get really nervous about the fact that I can’t find my wallet
1st text message of the day: (to Mike) do you think the airport will let me use a school ID? (worst case scenario I’m planning to take 10 bucks cash and buy a new ID on campus)
Mike: government issue ID is probably best, why?
Me: Ummm… I think I misplaced my wallet
Mike: is that a joke?
Me: no.

Me to Mom: What time does the DMV close?
Mom: 6 or 7. What’s going on?
Me: I lost my wallet

10:00 Physical chemistry (not as fun as it sounds) I’m freaking out at this point. I had planned to meet with teachers all day to finish up my homework before I leave for Milwaukee. And I’m sitting behind this uber cute guy who didn’t text me back on Saturday when I asked him where he was sitting at the game… who claimed he didn’t get the text until the end of the game. The guy next to him turns around and says “you can’t text during the game” then proceeds to try and whisper the outrageous story about how I dared to send a text message during the football game to the guy next to him, and right in front of me. I finally said “I can hear you” Shut him up. Yeah I’m losing my mind right now.
I wish Matt was at home and could help me look for my social security card, and check what time the DMV closes
I talk to James Patterson (newly awarded his PhD and proceeding to experiment on us undergraduates as a teacher—he embodies geek) I told him that instead of coming to get help with homework I needed to go to Salt Lake and get a new license so I could get on my plane. He told me I could hand my homework in on Monday when I got back.

11:00 Fluid Mechanics (I also get cell phone service again) 1)I have a voicemail from Matt saying he stayed home sick today, was wondering when I was coming up so we could hang, and he needed a massage. 2) Elyse texts my back telling me Brady's number (the boy whose car I was in Saturday night). 3) Voicemail from Haylie as icing on the cake. Fluids, I text like my life depends on it. Brady looks in his Audi, no wallet. Matt finds that the place to replace your drivers license closes at 6, but won’t let anyone in line after 3:30. Matt also found my birth certificate and social security card, and was ready to go get in line for me. I don’t think I have been this worked up in my entire life. Like I’m not already FREAKING OUT because I have to get on a plane BY MYSELF.

12:00 I’m done with class for the day, and I’m ready to run down this game plan: 1)BYU lost and found 2) tear my apartment apart 3)drive to Salt Lake and get a new license
BYU lost and found (for those of you who don’t know, it’s the most amazing part about BYU. I have found my watch, and jumpdrive, and more to come I’m sure. It’s located in the WILK, and all lost and founds flow into it. Its all organized, and they have regular employees there) But no such luck, no wallet. Alright, head home. I have never prayed nor cursed so passionately than I did this day. Ok one more prayer before the carnage begins, I’ll check my car first, then my room. It’s not on the floor on the passengers side, or under either seat. Then suddenly I see it! Tucked right next to the console, on the passengers side.

Ok, so maybe it wasn’t the longest day, maybe the most dramatic though. At this point, I have told about 9 people, and sent 200 text messages. Suddenly I have to go do my homework? Ugh.
I’m so emotionally drained from my own drama. At about 7 the Fergusons came down and got J-dawgs and we ate them in some Jewish structure set up on campus. SWEET!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

This post is sensational! I love the BYU Lost and Found. I remember the first time I ever had to go there. It was amazing! I couldn't believe someone actually got paid to collect and organize lost items. Gotta love BYU!

nicole and jared said...

1. your mom is so cute.
2. you should probably frame that wallet, its a legend
3. your travel story was more interesting than the twilight book series(not joking)
4. so you get to study dr. pepper in fluid mechanics?