Friday, March 13, 2009

I'm as Indecisive as They Come

I change my entire outfit at least once before leaving my apartment (Sundays it's usually more like 5-6 times.) I know this isn't unheard of, I'm just making a list of the things I have the hardest time making up my mind about.
I cannot order an entree at a restaurant without feeling like I only ordered it because everyone else at the table had already ordered their food, the third time the waiter came back.
When I find myself with any amount of time without some deadline in the next hour, I will usually sit there, or think myself in circles, trying to decide just what to work on. Often I tell myself after an hour of surfing the internet (because I just can't decide) "just do something, anything."
And just like that hour that is gone, gone, gone after I surfed the net (because of my fear of deciding) this same thing happens with boys. I'm not saying this is an Angela-from-the-Office one, but if I have a decision to make, I just don't. I just hold still until those things pass, and those boys are gone.
If I can't decide what to write about, I just hold my breath, and think it will come. And then I make drafts of ramblings that I don't publish because they have absolutely no point.

Just a little insight into my mind I guess. I listed some of things I've thought about writing about, but decided the thoughts or events weren't large or complete enough to actually trick you into spending time reading. This is for that fan club out there that I know checks my blog every hour, wondering what exciting things I am doing and thinking.

New niece: Annabelle Catherine Phillips-- she's going to be my future shopping partner

I have to do a project in my heat and mass transfer class, my group consists of me and three men. They decided to put me in charge of choosing our project, so I took it upon myself to also give us a team name "Beauty and the Geeks" (the best part is, they laughed harder than you are...if you are...)

I wore a skirt to school last Friday with leggings and flats. It snowed that day.

Speaking of skirts, I started this experiment. Two weeks ago, my Bishop's wife recommended that I wear a skirt to school on Friday, so the presidency could pick me up from campus and we could go to the temple. I sort of freaked out, because, like, I never wear skirts except for three hours on Sunday. And I live in this engineering building, where t-shirts and old jeans are the dress code, not respecting girls or boys. Ok, so I calmed down, and cowboyed up... Every, single, person asked me what the occasion was. I hate saying the temple for some reason (which is another issue I have that is unrelated to actually going to the temple...) oh I know the reason, it's pride. So I would answer with lines like "because girls wear skirts... remember I'm a girl?" That is when Fridays became Dress Up Days. The next Friday was the leggings deal, no questions whatsoever. So I'm like sweet, they think I dress nice all the time, so this means I'm not grundgy, engineer girl/boy. Today was the third Friday in a row, and every, single, person asked me agian, why I was dressed up. So I'll get back to you on my conclusion of this experiment.
And it's Friday, so I'm off to my lonely routine: the mall, the gym, sushi, early bedtime.
(These capital letters are for you Daddy)

3 comments:

Brian and Cathy Phillips said...

Mal,

you should wear a skirt 5 days/week. That way, people will REALLY stop asking you "what's the occasion?"

And if you were in graduate school and dressed nice, people would just begin to think you were a stuck up know-it-all. That's why I try and dress like crud.

Natalie said...

Mal Pal--I happen to have a closetful of very nice and cute skirts I never wear anymore due to the fact that I am a grungy stay-at-home momma these days. You're welcome to borrow them anytime for your experimentation! (But I'll have to trade you for a pair of sweats and an old t-shirt...)

Charmaine said...

Well Mal,
Look on the bright side of this. You are definately getting noticed! You never know, there might be some rich kid out there looking for the kind of girl who's not afraid to wear skirts. You should borrow Nats skirts and be sure to put a smile on!!Lol. I love you.