Sunday, February 22, 2009

rewind

last night i went to orem high's sweethearts dance. illegal? probably. fun? definitely.
it was for a good reason. a close friend of mine, and student at orem high was dating this _____ (jerk, loser, dufas, dope, tool, etc) and she had a tough decision to make. break up with this boy and not have a date for the dance (who by the way wouldn't come to pick her up at her house because he doesn't like her parents, which is absurd because her parents got this mark a job and are nothing but good to him), or keep dating him for another two weeks and have someone to go with.
first let me say that, i love when we as adults act like this is literally a no-brainer. it is for us. but, and this is speaking from experience, when you're 18 you have no pattern for dating, it's really difficult to know exactly how to handle a situation when you've never tried it before. we understand this principle in so many ways, but sometimes we have a hard time understanding why a pretty girl in high school dates losers.
she's a smart girl and did the right thing. she gave back the dress he bought her with money he borrowed from his ex girlfriend. and i told her i'd go with her if she decided to break up crap-for-brains. we had a blast. well i did. and i know i embarrased her at least somewhat. 
the embarrasment came because 1) i never cared what anyone in high school thought of me at dances (so you can imagine what i might act like.) and 2) the heirarchy that exists in a high school no longer includes me. i didn't fit into these levels, so i danced wherever i wanted, and as big as i wanted. i saw a lot of heads turn when i climbed on some steps in front of the speakers so i was four feet above everyone else. it was like a sociology experiment. i was just dancin to the music, and all these kids (well who are only 3 years younger than me) are looking at me like 'who the crap is that girl? did we say she could dance up there? why doesn't she care that we are sending her the fall-in-line vibes?' it was awesome. i was finally the coolest kid in high school. 
so cool story: this girl at the MAC counter did my eye makeup and claimed it would last for 12-14 hours. so i slept in it to test it. (also, it was so rad, i couldn't bring myself to remove it. seriously.) i took this picture this morning when i got home. and the thing is, this picture doesn't do it justice.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

So I think I better be calling you this evening to get the details of this story. You are hilarious! After seeing your moves at Brian and Cathy's wedding, I have no doubt you did everything you said you did (and probably more). Sure do love ya kid!

Charmaine said...

Great story. I'm with Natalie on this one. I was at the wedding also, so like her, I would not be surprised to see you cut-up-a-rug little girl. Your eyes really did look nice.I'd keep it on until Wriggly licked it off for you. You do remember Wriggly right? I love you bunches.