Saturday, May 30, 2009

Seriously So Grateful I Grew Up in the Hood

So this week my buddy Bonnie came over. We played some volleyball in the Riv (and beat the crap out of these kids who asked if they could play with us.) Around 7, we stop playing and Bonnie moved her car to a lot behind my building where you can park after 7. We're having a good time watching the Cavalier's game- don't act so surprised- when Bonnie says "Why is that guy towing my car?!" 
A select few have witnessed the Phillips when something is, for lack of a better term, going down. This includes vandalism, or anything involving our cars parked outside my parents', including vandalism. We take it very seriously. We run. We raise our voices if neccessary... and when it's not neccessary. Because it's habit. So I run through the parking lot while my friends are still trying to figure out what is happening. I yelled and told the punk to stop, which he heard thankfully. I told him the car was parked there after 7. He was definitely surprised I knew this rule (because it's sort of secret, I found out one night after my car booted and I was finally nice to a University Parking employee) At this point Bonnie caught up and started saying everything she could think of to get this guy to give her car back. I think I could have had more fun with the guy if she hadn't said anything at all, but don't worry I still had something to bring this conversation. He keeps shaking his head and acting like we don't have a leg to stand on. He claims there was an event going on all day across the street, and her car was there all day. So I told him "Hey if you don't want to get if off the truck, we'll call the cops" He got out of that car so quick. No, no, we don't need the cops, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Yeah you will pal. He checks out the note he posted on the car when he put a boot on it before towing it. 7:10. Yeah that's not gonna fly. If you don't boot after 7, you don't boot after 7. He quickly realized that "I thought that car was there all day" wouldn't hold up well either. 
My roommate Brittany (so cute) said "but would you really have called the cops?" (frownsmile.) The answer is yes. I've seen my brothers handle many a situation involving less intelligent employees/servants of the law/thugs. You know, life was rough growing up in Taylorvsille, but once again, Heavenly Father knows how he can use our experiences. He knows he can use me to punk University Parking if worse comes to worse.

6 comments:

Brian and Cathy Phillips said...

I be so proud! Mal, next time I need help, you're on my speed dial. I mean, I know I could use Brian seeing as he is my husband and all, but I want to see you lay the smack down!

Charmaine said...

You go girl!! I loved the way you handled the situation. I hope if anybody tries to take my car away you'll be around!

P.S. I think Brian made a mistake with his last sentance. Wasn't he really trying to say,"but I want to see you smack them down." Who taught that boy English anyway? Oh, never mind, I forgot you all grew up in Taylorsville!!!LOL.

Bonnie said...

If I didn't say anything? Hey hey now. This was my car we're talking about.

Natalie said...

Way to go, Mal Pal! You are hilarious and I loved your description of the fam responding to "situations." You pretty much summed it up perfectly! That reminds me of the time the drunk kid crashed into the suburban and tried to take off...

Anyways, I'm so glad you know the secret rule and let the guy have it. YOU ROCK!

Pam Smith said...

What a woman!!

Kami Anderson said...

Malory you crack me up!! I'm so glad you came to the temple open house with us on Saturday. It was good to see you.