Saturday, May 16, 2009

Too much for one title

I have been snapping pictures the last few days in a higher volume than I normally do.  The reason being that I actually have subject worthy of the energy from the rechargeable Duracell batteries.

I am in Nauvoo, Illinois (Illinoise as Cathy likes to say) with all of my immediate family.  Mike graduated from medical school on Friday, and we all flew to Milwaukee to attend his graduation ceremony and celebrate a huge accomplishment. Sometimes as I sit and mope to myself about how hard my life is and why I chose this male slash idiot dominated major, and I don’t have time to play all day, every day,  I am reminded of Mike and how he has actually done something with his life which has required even more work and sacrifice than my thermo class. Then I cry more because moping always seems like it will make me feel better. ANYWAYS…

Getting on the plane was quite “delightful” 9 adults and two babies trying to get to the airport, through security, and in seats on the plane was something special in and of itself. Just being with my family stresses me out. Because what if they get stressed out and start yelling (and they will) and what if something goes wrong (and it won't, but it will SEEM like it.)

 Random, but my favorite part about the whole experience was watching Greg. First, Greg, Matt, Eric, and I stayed up until 2 am the night before watching Zoolander, and when that was over Greg wanted to watch Shanghai Noon, I just walked away without saying a thing. Second, while watching the movie he made a paper chain, to count the days until he was back in Utah. And third, I was sitting about 4 rows behind him when we left Salt Lake for Minneanapolis. I watched Greg rest his forehead above the window and stare at the mountains and the country side we flew over. This lasted for about 15 maybe 20 minutes. Not sure why, I just loved watching my big brother enjoy something.

In the rental car leaving the Milwaukee airport.

We went to the Brewers game at Miller Park as a family on Thursday (photo op!)

Mike graduated on Friday. While the names were read for the Doctors of Philosophy, Masters of Science, and something else, I took a good nap. It took talent to get into a position where I could sleep, but my years of training 1 hour, every Sunday, for my entire life, have paid off. They read his name, “Doctor Michael R. Phillips,” he walked across the stage, got his diploma, tripped on the way down the stairs, and now he’s a doctor. He will no longer respond to any name unless it is prefaced by Doctor, so you’ve been warned. (just joking obviously.)  Afterwards we ate dinner at a charming restaurant called Osteria in downtown Milwaukee. 
I absolutely love this one of Greg and Mike
And  Mike's smile is so cute in this one
Today we got in a caravan to come to Nauvoo. I was with Brian and Cathy and we had a lot of fun. The roadtrip from Milwaukee to Nauvoo started out so exciting, then after about 4 hours our heads were pounding and we were all sick of the car. (I’m projecting my feelings, but this is a good estimate I think)

We had a wild night tonight. I think the main reason being that we are all in one hotel room. It’s actually a suite with two queen beds, and three sets of bunkbeds. Basically we are all crammed in here and it only makes every joke funnier. Garrett wiggling through everyone’s legs is also very entertaining. It is currently 11:15 PM and Nat and I are on a top bunk snuggled up with our laptops, because we both know our fans and blogs cannot wait. Some of the excitement as follows:

2 comments:

Becky Green said...

mallory, i haven't really read this yet, but i will. it's been a while since i've blogged or even visited the blogs of others and i need to catch up. i just wanted to say that mike's graduation outfit made me laugh for like 25 seconds straight. it's probably traditional garb or normal or something but i definitely thought it was a little funny. LOVE YOU!!

Charmaine said...

I love how you love your brothers. I didn't really like mine when I was your age, especially Gordon, he was too bossy.
Thanks for remembering your devoted fans.