Friday, April 3, 2009

Blogging from the Harold B. Lee...

I just finished a four hour test, and I don't want to walk home in the cold, so I'm stalling.

That skirt experiment died when I forgot to dress up last Friday. 
Also, my new thing of doing well on tests died with the two I took this week. On a positive note, I am going to conference on Saturday. There's just something about it that makes it worth the nearly two hour drive when you add in the time it takes to pick up tickets and park the car. I'm excited.
I was talking to a friend of mine who happens to be in graduate school here in Zion, studying psychology. He told me that worry can be maladaptive. It can motivate you to get something done in a shorter amount of time, or be more careful, but if it gets out of hand it can create an environment that prohibits you from solving problems. (I won't even get into why this would be a problem even strictly within my major) It clicked so fast. I feel very different than I did on Tuesday. I have definitely made leaps and bounds in the balance department. It's ok to care about homework/school, but there is no need to think that life will never go on if I am late for the 20th time to kinetics. Basically, I'm a worrier. That's why my friends call me a worrier. I used to get headaches my freshman year here at BYU, I went to a stress management lab on campus and after many weeks I realized all my worry have physiological affects, and that I can actually control those physical reactions with my thoughts. Two years later, I needed someone to tell me that again. And it's a good thing, because those problem solving skills that I have a little better grip on since Tuesday, have come in handy in this whole life thing.
Let's see if I can get some sushi after conference. 

3 comments:

Brian and Cathy Phillips said...

mal, that's why we call you whiskers!

Enjoy conference!

Chantay said...

In the words of Doris Day: "Que Sera, Sera. Whatever will be, will be."
Worrying runs in the family, but luckily it gets better with age! Someday you'll just shrug your shoulders and say "Eh, Whatever." I do it everyday. Eat some sushi for me (because I never will!) and have fun at conference. Love you!

Charmaine said...

Could having a guy take you to Conference be the reason why it's so worth it to take the drive and time,to go in to Salt Lake rather than stay home? I hope so!!!