Friday, October 29, 2010

I Would Like To

formally welcome myself back to consistent internet usage. Welcome Mal. I was chatting with a friend at work yesterday at lunch and I told him about my "predicament" of lack of media. I've kind of been laughing about this since I got out here: my hand-me-down Dell that my daddy gave me (because my parents gives me just about everything they have ever owned) crapped out once and for all. Being as how I have been broke-phi-broke for the past year just meant I would have to learn to wait. I also have this gigantic TV in my apartment that came with the apartment, but I don't have cable or a dvd player so I just get fuzz. I've been using computers here and there and just reading a lot. I felt frustrated one night about not being able to do many necessary things and I told my brother I just needed to buy one. He was really understanding and told me he'd lend me the money if I wanted it. Sometime during the next few days I calmed down a bit and realized (with a little exceedingly wise guidance from my church leaders) that getting out and staying out of debt is very important. I had a new motivation to hang on a little longer. I got a library card and got some good sleep in the meantime.

So back to my friend at work. He's all "I have an old gaming system that will play dvds if you want to borrow it" and I'm trying to decide if I should just keep enjoying my reading time so I never really asked for it. Well today on our way into work he's like "I have a present for you after work" and so after work we walk out to his car and whips out a mac laptop. And I'm like "um.....what is that?" and he's like "here, take it". So I took it with the promise it would come back once I purchased one for myself and he was like "well whatever, I don't use it anyway so have it for as long as you like."

I brought it home smiling and laughing the whole way and then another miracle happened at my apartment. I'm somehow connected to someone's internet (the first thing I did, obviously, was watch a good Fly a Kite youtube video). So I'll get some pictures coming of my new place, my double recliner couch (another great patience slash Holy Ghost story), and my weird friends from church. Love you.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

YAY!!! I'm so glad you're back! And I'm even more glad that the very first thing you did was watch "Let's Go Fly a Kite." Just think...a little redheaded boy who absolutely adores you was probably doing the exact same thing 2000 miles away.

Love you more and can't wait for the pics!

John & Rebekah said...

Did you return the "gift"? This blog is awesome Mallory.