Wednesday, October 6, 2010

At "Home" in Virginia

I just wanted to stop by and give you an update. Brian and I made it to Virginia. I can't begin to explain how selfless it was for Brian to drive 34+ hours with me across the country and buy a plane ticket home. He also cleaned the Manassas Costco out and emptied it into my new apartment. I told him I'm going to repay/get back at him for it by giving his children cell phones and ipods at ridiculously young ages. Thanks Brian. Oh and he has most all of the propaganda we produced throughout our roadtrip so visit his blog for *amazing* videos and pictures of a few state lines.

Next on my Thank List are Elder and Sister Hansen who are on a mission here in Virginia. Part of me believes that Heavenly Father sent them to this mission for me. Patt Hansen is Nat's aunt by marriage and has been a wonderful mother while I've been here for 4 days. She's been feeding me wonderful meals and just making sure I have everything I need. Which brings me quite nicely to numero uno on the List.

The past few weeks and really months as I have looked for a job and tried to figure out where my life is going I have received more blessings that I can count. I prayed for this job in Virginia the moment I applied for it. I had this (strange) desire to try something I had never done before: live far from home. I have this weird tendency to copy my brothers. I feel like I need to do everything myself and prove somehow that I'm independent and smart and all that crap. Heavenly Father really gives us what we want in this life which is incredible that He actually trusts us enough to say "tell me what you want, and I'll make it happen." His love is incomprehensible to me. I wish you could have seen His hand the way I did while trying to find a job, and a car, and get out here and find a place to live and a bed to sleep in.

Recently my good friend's father died. He was only 50 and he was perfectly healthy. He was just kayaking. My heart ached whenever I thought of this extremely close family. They all just loved each other so much. And some of their children are still in elementary school. I wondered how they must be feeling. I wondered how Heavenly Father would take care of each of them. And when I observed an outpouring of blessings in my life I wondered why He was blessing me so, when surely others needed His help more. The Holy Ghost taught me that because God is no respecter of persons, He is not limited like I am. He can, and is, taking care of all His children who need him. No list of needs is too long for Him.

4 comments:

gini said...

thanks mal. that was a great post and i needed it. i love you and miss you. hope you're doing well.

Emily M said...

Mal- I am so glad that you are getting all settled in Virginia! I am glad that Patt is there to take care of you. You are such a cute gal- have fun out there!

Elyse Dial said...

I love you. Thank you for this

John & Rebekah said...

I love your testimony Mallory, thanks for coming to Virginia. We should share more things like this during lunches :-)