Friday, October 22, 2010

I Miss You

All of you. It's past my 8 pm bedtime but I came over to Pat and John's to do a little online bill-pay and found myself here. I thought I'd just say hi and tell you about my rather uneventful couple of weeks.

I'm doing shift work so tomorrow will be my 4th and final 12 hour one of the week (praise the Lord). There is so much going on at work that I have to learn about that my brain nearly explodes everyday. I have been frustrated almost to tears a few times already but then I tell myself that no one is going to feel bad for a 22 year old girl who cries because learning new things is hard. So I have had to humble myself and remember that Rome wasn't built in a day. Besides working long hours the tools in the fab are incredible. I feel like a kid in a candy store. Everything is shiny and clean. It's a cleanroom so there is no dust/dirty oil/grease anywhere which is something I can handle if I'm going to be an engineer. Being dirty makes me feel less girly and I hate that.

The team that I work with is awesome because I don't feel like the odd one out because I'm the girl (like I was in school). There is so much diversity on our team no one thinks I'm so very different. And I enjoy that not everyone knows everything about Mormon culture because they don't treat me any different either way. There is another LDS guy on my team who I've become friends with which is super cool. And when someone on my team mentioned drinking the other engineer (who is Hindu) said he doesn't drink, and a tech who has teenage kids said he doesn't either. And it was almost like we had all said "we don't drink soda." No one thought it was a big deal at all. I'm so grateful everyone at work has been so sweet and helpful as I try to learn.

My singles ward is really small and there are a lot of converts and the elders come to our ward every Sunday and all our activities and it's just slightly different than the BYU wards I've been attending for the past 4 years. There are differences in the culture if you will of this ward and I think it's cool to learn about something different.


3 comments:

Brian and Cathy Phillips said...

it's probably pretty nice looking forward to Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday off next week, huh?

Dr. Hawkins would like you to send some of that shiny new equipment back to BYU.

So how many are on the team and are there other girls? What's the age breakdown of the team? Are they going to start calling you "Non-gay Doogie Howser" because you're the wonderkid on the team?

Becky Green said...

I'm so happy you're liking your job. :) And I'm so happy you could talk about it in retard terms for us because I want to know what's going on, but let's be honest--I don't care about all the engineer mumbo jumbo. Bottom line... I'm happy for you but I want you back here NOW. :(

John & Rebekah said...

Do you still feel like a kid in a candy store? I know the answer but I'd like to hear how you say it.