Thursday, December 4, 2008

it was the best of times, it was the worst of times

quentin l. cook quoted that in his last conference talk called "i hope ya know, we had a hard time" he mentioned how we all experience this very phenomenon. i have to agree. often i feel like this is the worst of times:
  • i have no money
  • no new shoes
  • no boyfriends
  • no time to play
  • i do homework all day
  • i'm a little exhausted
  • i just failed a test
  • it's so blasted cold
  • i'm late for class
  • i have a headache
  • i am freaking out
  • etc, etc!
sometimes i have a little harder time remembering that this is the best of times:
  • i get to stay out late
  • i get to crack up with haylie late at night
  • and wake up to her in the morning
  • i get to meet so many people in this little city thing called campus
  • i get to pray in class
  • i grow so much from having to do really hard things
  • there are fun people all around me
  • absense from my family makes my heart grow fonder (i really love seeing them when i do get to)
  • i've gotten really good at doing laundry when pressed for time at my parents laundro-mat
  • i have heard from various mothers that your time is no longer your own when you are mom- i am so looking forward to being a mom, but for now i get to work on all my shortcomings with relatively few obligations that require me to distribute my focus

i pretty much love conference, and this talk specifically. my problems don't go away just because i'm choosing to feel happy, but life is so much more enjoyable. i love everything right now. including you.

3 comments:

Charmaine said...

Ahhh, that was a cute story! Lot's of times it's alot easier to remember why we feel these are the worst of times. We do need to focus on the good times more, feeling better about our lives help us to go forward with the unexpected that lie waiting, just around the corner.
Now, let me help you out with an idea I've had. Why not ask Santa for a new pair of shoes, some extra cash, and a new boyfriend! See, we just took care of three of your worst of times list!! Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Becky Green said...

you're the best. but my favorite part of this is that you don't have any boyfriendS, like you need a few to be satisfied. I think that may explain your problem. LOVE YOU!

Elyse Dial said...

i'm coming i'm coming i'm coming!!!