Monday, August 31, 2009

A lot of Firsts

I participated in a triathlon on Saturday. (300 meter swim, 11 mile bike ride, 5K run.) It was awesome. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be, but I really enjoyed it. My bishop is a personal trainer and owns a gym in Orem called Elevate. I was actually on Jeffs & Jeffs Justice League team, but I got to race alongside team Elevate. My bishop has a client who in 2007 weighed 396 lbs. he got gastric bypass surgery and lost about 80 lbs. in a month, then plateaued because he was still sendentary. Then he started working with Rich my bishop. This guy was literally on his deathbed with illness. Rich told Brian that he would do this triathlon. Brian said "screw" you. Well Brian completed this triathlon. I was standing next to him in line to get in the pool for almost an hour. I didn't find out all of this until the end of the tri and I had no idea what he had been through to get to place. I was so impressed. He was such a nice guy. I am always amazed how forgiving the human body is. It can do the most incredible things no matter how it's been beaten up. Joanne has a clipping from a magazine on her refrigerator that says "if you can walk from the couch to the kitchen, you are not too old, too fat, or too slow to run." After seeing Brian do that whole thing - and I was almost literally next to him the whole time, because he and Rich passed me on the bike ride, and I passed them again during the run- I truly believe that. It's really cool how they did this too. Rich has a treadmill with a big bar over it that you can attach a harness to, and put a runner in. Joanne did it once and Rich turned up the treadmill to almost 20 miles and hour, and since she is was the harness she wouldn't fall on her face. So Brian got in this harness and they lifted enough of his weight off of him so that it was like he weighed 80 lbs. He ran on 80 lbs for a week, then they bumped it up so that 85 lbs of weight were on his legs. They did this until his legs were strong enough, and he lost enough weight to run on his own. Anyways, I just thought that was a cool story.
Joanne took this picture, and it's the only one I have. So even though I look dead sexy, here it is.
The first day of my senior year. I sent Nat a text today and told her about my first day of school, and she asked if I got a picture in my new clothes and backpack. I thought I was so original.
In separations class, we got to separate m&m's. BYU is rigorous.
And these are my dirty feet after trail running last weekend. In case you needed to be appetized.

4 comments:

Brian and Cathy Phillips said...

Ooo, how was your first day of school? And by the way, you rock! Good job with the triathlon. Please stop by one day and tell me all about it. Free dinner sound good?

Natalie said...

Wow! That story about that guy is incredible. It inspired me to do something physically great--and then I remembered you're not supposed to start vigorous athletic training when you're out of shape and pregnant. Bummer. Maybe next year I'll drag my sorry buns on the Ragnar with you guys.

I LOVE the back to school pic. You are gorgeous--apparently your triathlon training paid off, because you look amazing!

Mal Pal said...

What would I do without my sisters?

Cathy- I miss you guys and need to catch up, dinner sounds amazing. I'll give you a call asap.

Nat- sorry if you're feeling guilty, I didn't mean to give anyone a guilt trip. And it's ok that you hate running I'm not judging you, and I'd love to have you on the Ragnar if you actually want to, but if you don't I still love you.

Becky Green said...

omg.. you're so adorable with your little backpack. i just love you mallory. also, props on the triathalon. you beast.