Sunday, September 25, 2011

From My Phone

I moved last Monday and I haven't setup Internet in my new apartment, so I'm using the blogger app and it has limited formatting capability so all the pictures have to go at the end. The reason I'm telling you this is so that you don't assume I have become lazy or that I don't appreciate detail in the way a good blog post looks.
A couple exciting things: I now have my own bathroom (and my own closet, bedroom, and bed while I'm on the subject) and I ran in a big race Friday and Saturday. I think this race was the hardest I've ever done. Probably tougher than the handful of trail runs I followed the Jeffs on. I guess that wouldn't mean anything to you unless you went on the run, but whatever.
I was getting mentally prepared for my runs and the first one was a big boy. Then when I got to the race, I hear chatter about how it's the hardest leg on the course. My teammates joked after I finished that I proved myself tough enough, and I was now officially a man. And I got a belt buckle when I finished the leg. I ran 3 legs for a grand total of 19.4 miles. I feel like I was pretty well prepared for the race, so I think I performed better than I did in the Vegas Ragnar.
I also made new friends! Everyone in the van was married so I was a little nervous the married couple and other married man wouldn't talk to me for fear of flirting, but I was wrong. They were tons of fun. We all yelled when we saw BYU logos on other cars and shirts, and followed the football score on ksl.com on Friday night. We got real close because we're stuck in a van for 24+ hours, stinking, sweating, using port-a-potties, sleeping in weird places, and running our hearts out. It was super fun, and I can't walk now.

3 comments:

Brett and Chelsea said...

Congrats! I would have to agree that a 1200+ elevation gain does qualify you as a man.... Holy smokes! That's awesome! Congrats on finishing and I would have to say I miss the feeling of not being able to walk...

Tiare said...

Mallory!!! You are my hero! That is amazing! I am training for my ragnar now and my total milage is only 15.4 miles and no where near that craziness of elevation! Way too go!

Emily M said...

Way to go Mel!!! I just had some crazy flashbacks of vegas- good times!! You are awesome that you ran that